Friday, July 6, 2012

Going to Milan, Italy

Going to Milan is the first international trip that I have taken since leaving Japan in 2007. I am looking forward to going somewhere new.

As before, I tend to get more tense in airports, and my attitude begins to show. I can complain about many things, especially customer service, but now that I am leaving New York (at least for a short spell), perhaps I should relax a bit, and not complain so much.

But I feel free to complain about the plane ride. (Afterall, this is part of the vacation, and outside of America.) It would be meaningless, and I would not inform anyone of anything new or interesting if I complained about airplane food, so I won't do that. However, since I don't especially care about eating well, I can say that both the dinner soon after take-off, and the breakfast soon before landing filled me up.

I had the good fortune to have a seat next to a young family with a small child. The child thought it appropriate to let everyone on the plane know her dissatisfaction with her situation (or at the very least, was unaware of how to hide her dissatisfaction), and frequently let out high pitched screams and squeals. This calmed down at about the midway point of the flight, when the child and everyone else fell asleep.

Everyone except for me. It might have been the extra large cup of coffee that I had while still in the airport, or it might have been nerves, or something else. In any case, I did not sleep at all during the eight hour flight, but I had endless films to watch in the television imbedded in the seat-back in front of me; quite a luxury! I had also uploaded many books into my e-reader, and my ipod was filled with music, so I would not be bored. Despite the movies, and books that I had intended to read, I opted for the music, despite the fact that I have recently given up music, and was bored by anything I heard. A melody from a Chopin nocturne came into my head from I-don't-know-where, and so I turned on the ipod and listened to my collection of Chopin music. Perhaps new things can be found in the old, afterall.

I did, in fact, try to sleep, but I just couldn't. Perhaps it was because the seat was so uncomfortable. It seems that as I am getting older, different parts of my body are hurting more and more. For the last few weeks, I have not been able to get rid of different pains that are traveling around my back and neck. (I have told myself that when I return to New York, I will buy myself a proper workstation so I can work in comfort; I have also told myself that I will buy a new computer, and then take a trip to Japan, but who knows what my cheapness will allow me to buy.) This pain continued during the flight, and when I did finally get up from the seat to disembark the plane, a kink in my neck stopped me when I reached down to pick up my bag. Without doubt, the trip did worse for my back than it had been. That only tells me that during this trip, I should make sure to relax and not stress myself too much, especially about some work that I had plan to accomplish while here.

Flying over the cities before the plane landed, I did not feel the sudden excitement of being in a new country. From the sky, Milan and its surroundings did not seem like a new world to explore, and it looked to me some town in America. Before coming here, I had heard that Milan was the least interesting of Italian cities because it had been so industrialized. Having an open mind, at least I could explore if that prejudice was accurate.

All that said, I immediately felt like I was in Italy on my way out of the airport, through immigration and customs. Because I was not an EU citizen, I had to wait in the longer line to get my passport stamped. I never take for granted any sort of law and order, or control over the law and order institutions in foreign countries, nor my right to be in a foreign country, so I tend to be overly careful and respectful, waiting for directions before advancing from the line to the inspector. When I was finally at the front of the line, the immigration official tilted his head to the side and looked at me as if wondering whether I wanted to go through or not. Of course, I was feigning dopiness, and walked up.

When I was face to face with the officer, I immediately felt like I was in Italy. The fat man looked like he hadn't shaved in a few days, and his eyes told me that either he really hated having to work so early in the morning (it was 7:30), or he had just arrived to work after drinking all night with his friends. I looked at his neat uniform. He allowed the very top button to be opened, since he was not required to wear a tie, and the next two buttons were closed. The rest of the buttons on his shirt were undone in order to let his fat and hairy belly some air to breathe. Perhaps he believed something like the myth that television newscasters did not have to wear pants, since their legs were under the table, and people would not see them. However, his gut was free for everyone to see, and I am sure that people taller than I would have an angle to see even more.

While waiting for my checked bags, I quickly remembered to look through my wallet to make sure there wasn't anything in there that might get me in trouble going through customs; now would be the chance to run to the bathroom and flush anything that I might have forgotten in there after some night of debauchery. Fortunately, a quick run to the bathroom was not necessary, and I waited patiently for my bag. I am always nervous going through customs, because I don't like the idea of someone ruffling through my clothes. There was an arrow on the ground that said I should go this way for inspection, and I walked slowly. Before I knew it, I had gone though the glass doors and was outside, Italy welcoming me. I hoped that I hadn't gone the wrong way, because I missed any customs inspectors, so when I was far enough away, I looked back to see if I had missed something. Indeed I did. There were two inspectors with their fancy hats sitting on a folding table, chatting with each other. I walked right past them, and I doubt they even glanced at me. Perhaps it was too early in the morning for them to be bothered. It was just as well, because I had a headache, a backache, and my brain and eyes weren't working right from a lack of sleep.  

No comments:

Post a Comment